The Sixteen Section 508 1194.22
Requirements & Instructions
"Compliance with the updated Section 508 Standards
is not required until January 18, 2018"
About the ICT Refresh
- United States Access Board
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (a)
- A text equivalent for every non-text element shall
be provided (e.g., via "alt", "longdesc", or in element
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (b)
- Equivalent alternatives for any multimedia presentation
shall be synchronized with the presentation.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (c)
- Web pages shall be designed so that all information
conveyed with color is also available without color, for example from context
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (d)
- Documents shall be organized so they are readable
without requiring an associated style sheet.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (e)
- Redundant text links shall be provided for each
active region of a server-side image map.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (f)
- Client-side image maps shall be provided instead
of server-side image maps except where the regions cannot be defined with an
available geometric shape.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (g)
- Row and column headers shall be identified for
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (h)
- Markup shall be used to associate data cells and
header cells for data tables that have two or more logical levels of row or
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (i)
- Frames shall be titled with text that facilitates
frame identification and navigation.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (j)
- Pages shall be designed to avoid causing the screen
to flicker with a frequency greater than 2 Hz and lower than 55 Hz.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (k)
- A text-only page, with equivalent information or
functionality, shall be provided to make a web site comply with the provisions
of this part, when compliance cannot be accomplished in any other way. The content
of the text-only page shall be updated whenever the primary page changes.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (l)
- When pages utilize scripting languages to display
content, or to create interface elements, the information provided by the script
shall be identified with functional text that can be read by assistive technology.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (m)
- When a web page requires that an applet, plug-in
or other application be present on the client system to interpret page content,
the page must provide a link to a plug-in or applet that complies with §
1194.21(a) through (l).
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (n)
- When electronic forms are designed to be completed
on-line, the form shall allow people using assistive technology to access the
information, field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission
of the form, including all directions and cues.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (o)
- A method shall be provided that permits users to
skip repetitive navigation links.
- Section 508 1194.22 -- (p)
- When a timed response is required, the user shall
be alerted and given sufficient time to indicate more time is required.
** Home ** Class
Pages ** Site Map **
David J. Hark
P. O. Box 201 Shepherdstown, WV 25443-0201
Last updated: 4 March 2017
© 2001 - 2017
David J. Hark